We added a new section to the Looking Forward Guidelines: Real Race Examples with Social Distancing.
Races will look different in the weeks and months to come, but technology and creativity are letting us get back to racing in a way that complies with social distancing.
The examples that we add in this section are from across the United States. The social distancing guidelines and presence of COVID-19 will differ greatly between locations, so keep in mind that the external environment where these example races took place may be different from your own. Always consult with local health and public authorities.
If you have notes about a race with social distancing that you would like to share and add to these guidelines, email email@example.com.
Here are the initial examples that we have to share:
April 25, 2020 – South Carolina
Crisp McDonald, Go Race Productions and RunSignup’s RaceDay Expert – firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Free neighborhood event with 4 distances, 35 participants
- Course maps on RaceJoy, self check-in / bib assignment, real chip timing, and posting results to RunSignup
- Hand sanitizer to use – if you touch something, then disinfect yourself
- Some participants texted their name and bib ahead of time so that they didn’t have to touch anything when they arrived
May 2, 2020 – Arkansas
Agee Timing – http://ageeracetiming.com/about/default.htm
- Social distancing race experiment with 71 participants (less than a week for registration)
- Race course set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZntEl44a_k&feature=youtu.be
- Starting line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMIpqKHeM4&feature=youtu.be
- Three read points along course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1oaw_mt78&feature=youtu.be
- Finish Line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy4-YjA6vSY&feature=youtu.be
May 2, 2020 – South Carolina
Crisp did another free neighborhood virtual race to test out with the same set up as the previous week. He added in a livestream media component using RaceJoy maps and finish line video. Watch his set up here: https://www.facebook.com/GORaceProductions/videos/1413818528805621/