Moorestown, NJ – RunSignUp released their Second Annual RaceTrends Report, coinciding with the kickoff of the Running USA Industry Conference kicking off on Sunday. The report was built by mining the RunSignUp registration data over a three period to generate transparent statistics, identify trends in the industry, and provide recommendations to keep endurance events competitive in a crowded market. More than 30,000 races and 5 million participants (online and imported registrations) are accounted for in the data set for 2017.
The comprehensive report covers significant trends in race growth, race promotion, registration, fundraising, and RaceDay technology, with raw data and actionable takeaways. A few key findings include:
- Twenty-six percent of participants of 10K runners were repeat participants to that event, whereas marathons, triathlons, and ultramarathons retained 13%, 8%, and 8% of participants respectively.
- In 2017, registration prices increased across all race distances except the marathon.
- The largest source of registrations is people going directly to a race’s website
- When races offer groups or teams, over 30% of runners join a group.
- Over a quarter (27.8%) of all registrations take place within the 3-day period prior to a price increase or registration closing date.
- Nearly 29% of race registrations took place during race week.
- 36.4% of all donation money collected was from the 0.003% of donors who contributed more than $500.
- 40% of RaceDay registrations came through via the RaceDay SignUp App.
RunSignUp Founder Bob Bickel will give an overview of the report’s highlights during the Innovation Showcase at Running USA, and limited print reports will be available at the RunSignUp booth. The full report can also be found online and downloaded for free at: https://runsignup.com/trends
RunSignUp is the leading technology provider for races in the US. More than 15,000 races use RunSignUp to manage their events, registering more than 4 million participants each year. Services include RunSignUp for registration, fundraising, and race promotion, RunSignUp Go for RaceDay, RD Go for Timers, RunSignUp Clubs to enable membership management, and RaceJoy for mobile experiences. Customers include leading organizations like the Boilermaker Road Race, Crim Festival of Races, Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, Inc., Fifth Third River Bank Run, Philadelphia Marathon, Komen Race for the Cure Philadelphia, Mercedes Marathon, Kentucky Derby Festival, Silicon Valley Turkey Trot, Leone Timing, KC Running Company, Compuscore Timing, Knoxville Track Club, Pikes Peak Road Runners, Gulf Coast Runners, Columbus Running Company, Playmakers Running Store and many more. Services are free except for processing fees when conducting monetary transactions such as race registration or club membership renewal. RunSignUp is founded by runners for runners, using technical capabilities to bring the power of cloud computing to benefit the running community. For more information, visit RunSignUp.com.