We have a series Customer Case Studies, in which we take your stories and share your challenges and successes as a learning tool for other RunSignUp users. This Rotpac Racing Case Study focuses on how a Timer can work with their Race Directors to create the best race experience.
Rotpac Racing and RunSignUp
Rotpac Racing works to educate and lead the races they time to help them get the most out of their Online Registration and Race Day options.
About Rotpac Racing
Rotpac Racing has been timing and managing XC meets, Road Races, and Cross Country Skiing races for 20+ years, and currently times 75+ races and manages 3. Rod Yeacker talked to us about how they work with their Race Directors to create the best race experience possible.
The Race Director
Rod uses The Race Director Timing Software, and utilizes the integration between Race Director & RunSignUp. He prefers to have Race Directors enter all their pre-race day paper registrations on RunSignUp ahead of time so that he can pull the data the day before the race to pre-assign Race Bibs.
Providing Guidance to Race Directors
Rod began using RunSignUp as it started to introduce integration with Timing Software and features beyond simple credit card processing for race registration. As he transitions to RunSignUp, he finds that some are able to understand the process (and added feature options) better than others, and has implemented some steps for helping his Race Directors get up to speed.
- Race Directors are given a walk-through sheet to show them how their results & awards should look, and how to set up events on RunSignUp to accomplish that.
- Rod will go through upcoming races and review their categories to make sure they are correct.
- Correcting race setups early helps not only that race, but affiliated races that are likely to copy setup from other, similar races.
It would be easier for Rod to just set up the races himself to ensure they are done correctly, but doing so would meant that Race Directors would never learn to do it themselves, so he provides tools and support instead of taking over the work.
“Technology has changed so quickly…it’s tough to try to get Race Directors who barely understand chip scoring to understand the reasonable investment of taking the time to set up a race correctly, send out email blasts, etc. I’m trying not to set up every race myself, but doing corrections and giving ideas of what I think can help…but a lot of it right now is having people go through the process.” Rod (Rotpac Racing)
Rod uses video at his races in several ways: for timing backup, to improve the race experience, and to provide a marketing tool for his races.
- Rotpac has around 6 different camera options (including ipads, etc.), and will generally set up a camera on a tripod and film a shot of the clock, starting with the first runner.
- When possible, they also do a roaming camera – runners love the opportunity to see themselves.
- As a check for the timing system, a Rotpac team member will operate a handheld camera and audibly say the race numbers of each runner as they cross the finish line.
- Some of the races that are operated by running stores will use the video (or clips of it) as a marketing video to play in their store as a lead-up to the race.
If you have a success story about your race, store or club, big or small, email us…we’d love to explore a Case Study on your topic!